25.5.12

The Thin Line That I Crossed


Sometimes, when we get over familiar with someone, we forget our limitations and we say things we ought not to say.
That is the exact thing I committed this week. I accidentally got into Syme's nerves without meaning to. He was kind enough to point it out to me. I was actually taken aback because for the first time, someone reacted against my bullying. I just had to be honest. I did not know how to react to that.

I thought of how I could keep on joking with him without jeopardizing our friendship. It was a challenge because we established our friendship through jokes. Not throwing witty lines at one another would be awkward and would worsen the situation rather than improve it.

I did not have to go through the pains of being awkward. Syme was too kind. He did not let me wallow in my guilt. He said, he was ok, that he was just letting me know what he felt and he did not mean for me to do anything about it. Of course, it was tempting to forget and pretend that everything did not happen. It was not the case for me. I considered it a debt that I got off the hook so easily. Yep. It's a debt all right-a debt that is hard for me to pay.

No comments: